J1SWeb Move or Upgrade
For the reasons discussed below, all websites hosted on the J1SWeb hosting system are being moved to the Frog Productions hosting system. Effective April 1, 2017, the J1SWeb hosting service will no longer be available. As a J1SWeb website customer, your site will either be moved "as is" with the hosting fee increasing to $150/year or, with your authorization, upgraded to a mobile-friendly, WordPress-based site for a one-time fee of $300.
Below is a summary of the website functions and costing for J1SWeb client websites as of April 1, 2017. All websites will be moved to Frog Productions hosting and become a Frog customer. The decision is yours to either upgrade your website to the mobile-friendly,WordPress platform or to have your site moved "as is".
- Mobile Friendly
- WordPress based
- Search Engine Friendly
- Easy to Change Yourself
- Security Protection
- Site Back Up
- Current Technology
- Hosting Cost2
- Domain Renewal Management3
Move "As Is"
- Mobile Friendly No
- WordPress based No
- Search Engine Friendly Minimal
- Easy to Change Yourself Not available
- Security Protection Minimal
- Site Back Up Monthly
- Email1 No email included
- Current Technology No
- Hosting Cost2 $150/year
- Domain Renewal Management3 $35/year
$300 (before 4/1/2017; $700 or higher thereafter)
- Mobile Friendly Yes
- WordPress based Yes
- Search Engine Friendly Good
- Easy to Change Yourself Yes
- Security Protection Good
- Site Back Up Weekly
- Email1 5 email accounts included
- Current Technology Yes
- Hosting Cost2 $150 first year then $35/ mo
- Domain Renewal Management3 $35/year
Why the Changes for J1SWeb Hosting?
- The web site and hosting technology for the J1SWeb sites are old and subject to hacking with very limited security.
- The web sites were not being backed up – Frog immediately began backing up all sites and has absorbed the costs of backing them up
- The annual hosting fee paid by clients to J1SWeb is extremely low relative to what it costs Frog to provide. When David retired and Frog became responsible for the J1SWeb client sites Frog agreed to keep the fees the same as J1SWeb had been charging for one year. Frog has kept the hosting and Domain name management fees the same for over two years.
- The J1SWeb sites were created a few years ago using technology that is now obsolete causing changes to be time consuming and thus costly. Changes cannot be made by the client.
- For the past several years web sites have been built using ‘cloud’ approaches which means simply that the web sites and the tools to build and change them are resident on the Internet and can be accessed and used from any computer with changes being made very quickly. The J1SWeb sites have been created using software that is resident on the creator’s computer and must be changed on that computer (using tools on that computer) and uploaded to the hosting service after changing.
- The J1SWeb sites are not mobile friendly—they do not re-size to fit the screen size (such as phones) and are thus being penalized in listings by the search engines (as of the April 21, 2015 announcement by Google which is now being implemented by Google and the other major search engines.
- Since Frog began supporting the J1SWeb clients more than half of the J1SWeb clients have opted to have Frog redo and update their websites to use the new cloud based, mobile friendly, search engine friendly, more secure and easy to update technology.
- For most of the reasons mentioned here, Frog is going to discontinue its use of the hosting service used by the remaining J1SWeb sites as of April 1,2017 and will be using only cloud based, secure, and backed up hosting.
- The discontinuing of the J1SWeb hosting service means that all web sites on this service will be moved to the Frog hosting service without change and the hosting fee will be increased to $150/year and Domain renewal and management will be changed to $35/year. These moved sites will still not be mobile friendly and will not be any easier to change. These sites will not include email—you would set up and use an email service such as Google or Comcast to be listed on your web site.
- Alternatively, J1SWeb clients can decide to have their web site updated to a ‘cloud based’ WordPress web site, freshened up in appearance, and made mobile friendly for a one-time fee of $300 (the normal charge for doing this would be $700). These websites would include five email accounts. The hosting fee and access to the tools to change the web site would be $150 for the first year—which would become $35/mo or $360/year if paid in advance (the standard Frog fees) for the second and subsequent years.
- Web sites that are not upgraded to a refreshed WordPress web site by April 1, 2017 will be moved as is and upgrading to the mobile friendly, easy to change WordPress format, should be desired in the future, would cost $700 for a five page site and the hosting would be at $35/mo. ($360/yr. if paid in advance).
Move or Upgrade
If you've already decided to either move or upgrade, complete the following form and we'll be in contact shortly. Otherwise, please use this form to submit any questions or call us at 517-796-8151.